Friday, February 18, 2011

NJ Flower & Garden Show

This post is my personal opinion only. It in no way reflects the views of Rutgers Gardens or any of its staff. I am not a spokesperson for Rutgers Gardens.

I don’t know if it was the theme (Broadway) or the economy, but the display gardens at the NJ Flower & Garden Show were uninspiring this year. I wasn’t “wowed” by any of them. In keeping with the bad economic times, there were very few gardens. The vendor area was correspondingly larger than in previous years.


My favorite garden was Tom Sawyer. BTW, is or was there a "Tom Sawyer" show on Broadway? The water feature was a stand-in for the Mississippi River. Tom Sawyer is shown fishing. Just out of view is his raft.



My least favorite garden was Wicked. The black daffodils and tulips looked charred. Yuck.

This year’s winner of the "What were they thinking?" award goes to Beauty & The Beast.


That sparkly "mulch" has never been seen in Nature.


And the pond just screams CHEESEY.

Nuff said.


I fell in love with these little owls. I think they captured my heart at last year’s show. They are made out of pieces of granite. Each one is unique. I found the vendor who was selling them and after agonizing over which one had the cutest face, brought one home with me. He is on a shelf in my basement with my other garden ornaments, waiting for spring. I’m not sure where I will put him.

You can see all of my photos of the garden show on Flickr.

No comments: