Thursday, March 4, 2010

Philadelphia Flower Show

This post is my personal opinion only. It in no way reflects the views of Rutgers Gardens or any of its staff. I am not a spokesperson for Rutgers Gardens.

A and I made our annual pilgrimage to the Philadelphia Flower Show today. It was more spectacular than last year. How spectacular? I set a new personal record of 687 photos. Most trips, I average 300 – 400 photos.


Photos of the Day




I just love the light in that photo.

A and I noticed two trends this year: orchids and azaleas. Everywhere we looked, orchids and azaleas. I enjoyed the orchids. They have such a variety of shapes and colors.



The azaleas, on the other hand, got very old, very fast.

I continue to be fascinated by the fact that the display gardens are arranged around entire buildings.



You will note the azaleas.

There are some animals that look great made of flowers.




If you look closely, you’ll see that the elephant has a pedicure.


Some animals shouldn’t be made of flowers. Like lobsters:


As long as we are on the subject of things that should never, ever happen:


Tulips used as pond plants


Ikebana wall hangings

A pointed out this little anomaly.


The theme for the table settings was something about First Dates. She noticed that the flower arrangements are set on laptops. Which caused us to wonder who brings a laptop on a date? What are they doing, Tweeting the date to their friends? Updating their Facebook pages?

As long as we are wondering about stuff, any guesses as to how this tree was transported to the convention center?

I love the trunk but how do you move it?

I did see some really neat stuff.


Like this dish garden.


And these Birds of Paradise

I’ve never been able to have bird houses because the squirrels would chew them up.


Maybe I should try this?

My favorite dog park topiary:


Love the dachshund.


The frog was less successful

And this was just what I needed after a long, snowy winter:


Miles of daffodils.

You can see most of my photos (Flickr choked on about ten of them), the good, the bad and the blurry, on Flickr.

Tomorrow, we’ll play a couple of rounds of “You Be The Judge”.

4 comments:

AMIT said...

Hey wow so lovely flowers.

Domain registration india

Jean Campbell said...

What a treat for those of us who are far away from Philadelphia and the Show! Thank you for taking time to photograph and post these wonderful scenes.

OldRoses said...

NellJean, you're welcome! I hope someday you will be able to go to Philly and see the show in person.

kate smudges said...

I'd love to go to this flower show ~ if you took over 600 pictures, it must have been spectacular. I wonder why there were so many Azaleas. Orchids I can understand, since there seems to be a lot of Orchid shows around this time of year. The elephant is gorgeous (especially its toes). And what a wonderful sight the daffodils would be!

The show must be massive ~ there would be so much to see. Thanks for the tour!