Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Seeds of Summer


I am being buried in seed catalogs. I love it. Last year, I dabbled in the Dried Flower Bed at Rutgers Gardens. It was assigned to me at the last minute, so I had to settle for planting leftovers from the greenhouse. Needless to say, it was not a success. This year, I will be able to grow flowers ahead of time in the greenhouse specifically for the Dried Flower Bed. I’ve found a lot of interesting flowers but need to narrow down my list. It’s a small bed. There’s just not enough room for everything that I want to grow.

The bed is surrounded on two sides by a fence. I plan on growing small decorative gourds on the fence. Yes, I know that they aren’t flowers but neither are the decorative grasses that are already in the bed. I’m such a rebel!

Being a long time volunteer (6 years!) has its privileges. I’ve decided to branch out and try growing veggies. There is a waiting list for veggie beds, but the Volunteer Coordinator allowed me to jump to the head of the list and grab a bed that was being relinquished by another gardener. I will be growing stuff that I cook with such as parsley, carrots, onions, garlic and herbs. I have to have a few flowers so I will be growing edible flowers such as nasturtiums, marigolds and calendulas.

I think I will declare this the Year of the Zinnia. I saw lots of interesting varieties of zinnias in the catalogs that would be perfect for my gardens at home.

This is my favorite time of year when I can dream about my gardens. In my dreams, they always look lovely and never have weeds.

5 comments:

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Good luck your plan sounds exciting. Watch your Zinnias for powdery mildew or select resistant varieties.

Pond Pumps said...

Garden style are always very important to choose as they should be unique and should have a some good specifications as they hold your impression

blog about our products we have in our just feminized range said...

Gardening is a beautiful habit and hobby to follow as it gives content to the heart and peace to the mind. Even I have a small garden in my backyard. Gardens are very soothing to eyes. This kind of beautiful gardens are very tough to build and maintain.

Patricks Garden said...

I agree about the year of the zinnia. I can't wait to see Queen Rose Lime from Park Seed with its companion Queen lime.

Andrea said...

Your plans sound wonderful. I personally love Zinnias. They seem to bloom forever.
I read your blog often, just don't leave comments often. This time I had to though. :-) Greetings from Germany, Andrea