Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A Dearth of Butterflies

Is it just me or are there almost no butterflies this year? My butterfly bush, which I have never pruned, is now taller than my shed and almost as wide. It should be stunning, covered with fluttering wings. Instead, I see one or two swallowtails, occasionally a monarch, desultorily fluttering around, sampling a few flowers and then moving on to unknown destinations.

And it’s not just in my yard. There is an almost complete absence of butterflies at Rutgers Gardens. Recently, instead of butterflies, I saw a hummingbird in the Butterfly Garden.

When I purchased my camera, I chose a package that included a longer lens so that I could take better pictures of butterflies. I especially wanted to capture images of the monarchs which are too shy for me to get very close. Sadly, I have not had any occasion to try it out.

The only photo of a butterfly that I have taken this year was yesterday at the Freylinghuysen Arboretum. I noticed a butterfly at eye level on a buddleia and took a few quick shots.

You can see all of my photos from my trip to the Freylinguysen Arboretum on Flickr.

No comments: